Breaking Down the Biggest Remaining Hangups in the NHL CBA Talks

September 15th, 2012 by Nicholas Goss Leave a reply »
With another NHL lockout now underway, it's an appropriate time to look at how far apart the two sides are on some key issues in the CBA negotiations.

In the history of the NHL, there has never been $3-plus billion in revenue to divide among the owners and players, so it's not a big surprise that neither side has agreed on many of the core economic issues. The economic issues are the ones that often make these labor negotiations last a long time.

Let's break down the two biggest remaining hangups in the NHL CBA talks.


HRR (Hockey-Related Revenue)

This is one of the core economic issues that the two sides haven't been able to find an agreement on. In the CBA that just expired, the players received 57 percent of HRR, and the owners received the other 43 percent.

With costs and player salaries rising, the owners want a higher percentage this time around, and naturally, the players aren't willing to give up a lot of their 57 percent.

When each side attempted to bridge the gap on Wednesday, they were unable to find a HRR split that they could both agree on.

Below is what the NHLPA proposed (vi ...

Read Full Article at Bleacher Report - NHL
Article written by


Comments are closed.